Disha: Education Initiative of The Ma Foi Foundation
Disha is an opportunity for children from disadvantaged background to believe in their strengths and rise beyond all odds to become grounded, educated and sensitive individuals of the society. Disha is not just about education for children. It involves holistic development of a child, allowing him or her to discover their hidden talents, encouraging them to believe in themselves and never let go of their dreams.
Disha Scholarships are provided to disadvantaged children to ensure that they continue their education without hurdles. The initiative has supported over 3800 children in the state of Tamil Nadu with the aim to help children get higher studies and get employment.
- 250 have successfully completed college education and working today.
- More than 750 children reached college because of our support.
Disha Leadership Programme, provides children an environment to learn, act, and lead so that they can hone their skills, be productive and grow as concerned leaders. Disha Scholars from 8th standard onward undergo this programme till they finish their college.
- More than 2000 children benefit by this programme every year.
- 13 schools have Disha Leadership Clubs run by students.
- The Disha Youth Movement started by the scholars in colleges to volunteer and help younger scholars.
Disha Sports Academy:The academy identifies potential sports talent between 10 and 14 yr old children and provides training and other facilities to enable them to become professional sports person. 120 students are trained in football, boxing and athletics.
- Won boxing state championships twice in the last three years,3 National medals in boxing
- District champions in foot ball and athletics
- Overall 120 medals won in the last 3 years
Gems of Disha:
The project focusses on helping them academically weaker students with necessary study tools and exposing them to additional coaching classes at special supplementary centers.
- 250 students have passed 10th standard examination and continuing their studies
- 462 students are studying in these centers
Disha Kalvi Maiyam:
Village Education and resource centre: These centres are run in villages of Sivagasi where the both parents are employed and children don’t have any support system to study and spend time meaningfully in the evening.
- 4000 children spend 2 hrs every day after school learning skills.
- Libraries/Book for children
Sornammal Matriculation School which was adopted in 2001, has grown into a recognized well run educational institution in Chennai providing education to over six hundred underprivileged children in the slums of Ayanavaram. It is the most affordable matriculation school in the area.700 students study in the school.
One-third of the students are exempted from paying monthly fees.